Top five reasons to attend local band Kettle of Fish’s CD Celebration Saturday at Skipper's Smokehouse in Tampa.
1. Best of Southwest Florida: When it comes to local rock bands that perform classic and original songs with equal, crowd-pleasing aplomb, Sarasota-based Kettle of Fish is the best. That’s why we had them headline our Ticket Turns 21 bash in April, which turned out to be a sold-out event that they seriously crushed from start to finish.
2. Wanee: Yeah, Kettle of Fish can be seen regularly performing at numerous venues in the 941 but the band also made time this past year to rock the famed Wanee Music Festival up in Live Oak. Need proof? Check out the video below.
3. The CD: A smart, impassioned blend of blues, rock and soul, Kettle of Fish’s self-titled EP finds singer, songwriter and rhythm guitarist Dana Lawrence delivering smoldering vocals over memorable melodies marked by the impressive work of lead guitarist Thorson Moore, bassist Todd Cook, drummer Garrett Dawson, keyboardist Matthew Frost and some very special guests. CD closes with “Merry Go Round,” an outstanding original by Lawrence that will also sound excellent on shuffle with a bunch of classic rock gems.
4. Special guests: Everyone from late, great Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dan Toler (he can be heard on the CD) to contemporary blues scene favorite Damon Fowler have sat in with Kettle of Fish. Expect a special guest or two Saturday.
5. Totally worth the drive: For venues with a capacity under 1,000, nothing in the Sunshine State beats the indoor/outdoor funky beauty of this Tampa icon regulars call The Skipperdome. Famous for hosting shows by everyone from Buddy Guy to the Black Keys, Skipper’s has also gained national attention for its delicious, Florida Cracker cuisine, which has been featured on Travel Channels’ “Man V. Food Nation” and “Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich In America.”
—Full disclosure: Singer/lead guitarist of opening act the Joel Tatangelo Band is my younger brother.
Kettle of Fish’s CD Celebration
with Joel Tatangelo Band, Billy Seward Band
8 p.m. Saturday; Skipper's Smokehouse, 910 Skipper Road, Tampa; $7/$10; 971-0666; skipperssmokehouse.com